On Main Beach in Santa Cruz, June 1st and 2nd, at the Pro-Am Beach Soccer Tournament, two months of sand practices at Natural Bridges Beach came to fruition for Santa Cruz City's Sharks 02 Blue as they came back from a 0-3 deficit to win the finals 8-5 against the USA All-Stars. The boys went undefeated during the weekend.
Competitive U-14 boys team Sharks 99 had their first match in quite sometime in a friendly match against a well respected strong team, Watsonville Warriors FC (WWFC).
For the first game since its re-organization and under a new coach, the Sharks 99 won in a thrilling 5-4 victory after trailing 3-4 around the 60th minute. Pedro Zavala lead the defensive back line with superb athleticism and focus, to allow the attacking duo of Ramon Flores and Jonathan Sherwood-Flett to put the game away in a nail-biter friendly. Jonathan had a hat-trick with the winning shot coming from about 25 yards out, while Ramon Flores scored 2, including the tying goal to give the team a winning chance.
This was a great win and confidence booster for the Sharks 99 players, who had NO subs the entire game against the 16 man rostered team WWFC. Sharks 99 is still looking for players to fill up its roster and be ready for an exciting Fall season. To tryout for the team contact coach Ivan Garcia.
Santa Cruz City YSC is offering three exciting soccer camps this summer. With sessions offered in June, July, and August your child will keep active while enjoying developing their skills.
- West Coach Coaching Camp (July 15-19) - run by five professional coaches who work in soccer academies in the UK.
- Advanced Soccer Camp (August 5-9 & 12-16) - the successful camp by coach Hillel Rom returns.
- In Progress: Club and Team Development Camp (June 16-20) - created by Frans Hoek, assistant coach for AFC Ajax, FC Barcelona, FC Bayern Munich, and the Polish and Dutch National teams.
See the Summer Camps page for further details.
Registration for the Santa Cruz City YSC Fall 2013 Recreational League is open.
- Registration is available online or by mail.
- Sponsor a team with a tax-deductible donation of $300 and support youth Soccer in your community.
- Volunteer as a coach and get $50 off for your child's registration next season.
- Get paid to referee recreational and competitive games.